Friday, June 13, 2008

Mrs Grumpy and the NHS.


Now one of the reasons that I have not had much time to play with the PC over the past few months is that Mrs Grumpy has been unwell, very very sick in fact. After a stroke she was admitted to hospital for over two months (scared the shit out of me). I have to say that the medical treatment that she received was fantastic.

All praise to the doctors and nurses who treated her and put up with my telephone calls and visits. Even my eternal thanks to the doctor who suffered the rough end of my brother-in-laws tongue, when he though that the doctor was not doing enough for his sister.

But what was a shock to me, was the fact that the careers that have been assigned to visit her after being released from hospital are so poorly trained. May be that's unkind, they are providing an excellent service but when I asked what training they received I was surprised to find that they are trained to something called NVQ2 standard but no medical or first aid training.

And to read between the lines once again I find the root of the problem is cut backs in the National Health Service. The supply of careers has been farmed out to private agency's and you can bet whilst they meet the need it will be minimal as the main priority of these business's is to make a profit.

I bet if I was a MP she would not be in a National Health Hospital but in a private clinic and when she came home would have full time trained nurses to look after her full time around the clock not two 10 minute visits a day (they put down 30 minutes). Is my wife any different than that of an MP's. Shes just as precious to me, more so in fact. The fact that I do NOT have access to the public purse with its limitless reserves to be plundered with impunity means that I will have to accept what I'm offered.

But be warned you have awakened a sleeping giant.

No comments: